The IT Glue Chrome Extension accesses the saved credentials you’ve stored in IT Glue and autofills them into the associated website. The extension works by detecting when specific webpages require your stored credentials and then autofills the username and password, allowing you to quickly log in.
Installing the extension
The browser extension is available for Google Chrome only.
- Click here to view the IT Glue Chrome Extension app page.
- Click + Add to Chrome in the top-right corner.
- A pop-up will appear asking you to confirm adding on the extension. Click Add extension.
- The IT Glue icon will now appear in your toolbar.
When we release and make updates to the extension, you don't have to worry about a thing. The upgrade will be applied automatically the next time you restart your browser.
Disabling browser autofill
To make the most of the IT Glue Chrome Extension, we recommend that you disable Chrome's built-in password autofill features, so that it will not try to fill in passwords with stored values.
- In the top-right corner of Chrome, click the ellipsis icon (...) and then on Settings.
- In the Autofill section, click on Passwords.
- Disable both Offer to save passwords and Auto Sign-in options by clicking the toggle switches.
Signing in through the extension
- From Chrome, click on the IT Glue icon in your toolbar to display the signin dialog in the extension window.
- Select your account's location, enter your IT Glue subdomain, email address, and password, and then click the Sign In button.
Your subdomain is the first part of the URL you use to sign in to the IT Glue web app. For example, your subdomain will be mycompany if you use mycompany.itglue.com to sign in. If you have multi-factor authentication (MFA) enabled on your account, you will need to enter the code from your authenticator app to continue.
Signing in with SSO
If your IT Glue account is set up for single sign-on (SSO), you can skip the sign-in instructions above. Click the Single Sign-On button and then enter your subdomain to initiate SSO.
The extension session automatically expires after twelve hours. To end your session manually, click on the IT Glue icon in your toolbar and click on the sign-out button in the extension. The IT Glue icon at the top right will gray out after you sign out.
If you have credentials saved in IT Glue, the browser extension will automatically detect when you have accessed the associated login webpage and autofill your username and password.
In some login processes, the username and password fields are on separate pages. In this case, the extension will first autofill your username. Click Next. The extension then autofills your password on the next page.
Filling in a different field (password learning)
The password field is detected automatically. However, depending on the layout of the fields, the extension may not put the username in the right field. If this happens, you can change where the username is filled by following these steps:
- Click the IT Glue logo and choose the matching credential.
- Click the Filled in the wrong field? message.
- Click Learn.
- Next, click your cursor in the username field on the website.
- When you log in to this site again, the extension will know where to fill the username.
Bypassing or disabling the IT Glue autofill logo
If you access a website and do not want the extension to autofill your IT Glue stored credentials, you can:
- Bypass autofill: Use the Ctrl+/ (Mac: Cmd+/) keyboard shortcut to bypass auto-fill.
- Disable autofill: In the extension, click Settings and toggle the Autofill switch to OFF.
Navigating the extension window
To find a stored username and password:
- In the extension, click Passwords to display a list of all credentials saved in your IT Glue account.
Tip! You can narrow down the list of passwords by searching the organization first.
- Click the relevant asset to be redirected to the associated webpage. The extension will then autofill your credentials.
To view a stored username and password in the extension:
- Locate the password following the steps listed above. Click the cog icon beside the password.
- In the Password view page, you ca see all associated details including, the login webpage URL, item description, and any notes. Click the Copy to clipboard icon if you need to manually paste the information. Click the eye icon to show the password.
Creating and managing passwords from the extension
The steps for creating a password through the extension is comparable to the process in the IT Glue web app.
- In the main screen of the extension, click Create Password.
- The extension automatically generates a random password but you can generate new ones by clicking the Generate button.
- Complete the remainder of the fields and click Save.
At some point, you will need to edit or delete a password. These actions are only available by opening IT Glue directly, or via the extension by clicking the View in IT Glue button. This opens the IT Glue web app where you can make your changes. Any changes in the web app are immediately reflected in the extension.
- In the main screen of the extension, click Passwords.
- Locate the user credentials and click the cog wheel icon.
- Click View in IT Glue.
Searching from any webpage
The IT Glue Chrome Extension enables searching IT Glue from any open webpage with our quick search keyboard shortcut.
- Log in to the IT Glue Chrome Extension to start using the quick search.
- To search for an asset (configuration, contact, password, etc.) or organization from Chrome, press the quick search "Q" keyboard shortcut. Immediately, the quick search opens on the active webpage.
Alternatively, you can select text on the webpage you're viewing to populate the quick search. Once you have selected the text, press "Q" to launch a search in IT Glue of those exact words.
- Next, type your keywords. You can add as many keywords as you need.
- Use arrow keys to navigate the results. You can also press Tab to cycle the search scope forward through the different asset types (Shift + Tab reverses direction).
- To open to the chosen result, press Enter or click the asset. A new tab opens to display the page in IT Glue. If you are not yet signed in to the IT Glue web app, you will need to log in to continue.