For partners subscribed to Select or Enterprise plans.
This article will walk you through the steps for configuring IT Glue and Microsoft Teams to send webhook notifications to a Microsoft Teams channel when specific events occur. For an introduction to workflows, refer to our Quick guide for workflows.
Example of a Teams expiration alert (click to enlarge):
- You must have a Manager or Administrator role to configure IT Glue workflows.
In this article, we will refer to the JSON API, which is basically a universal connector for data on the internet. JSON API is a specification for how a client should request that resources be fetched or modified, and how a server should respond to those requests. You don’t have to know anything beyond that to begin experimenting with this feature.
Configuring Microsoft Teams
- In Microsoft Teams, select a team and a channel for that team (the channel you want notifications sent to).
- Click the three small dots on the right side of the highlighted channel name.
- From the More Options menu, click Connectors.
- Look through the list and at the Incoming Webhook connector, click Configure.
- Give the webhook a name and a custom icon, and click Create.
- Next, copy the webhook URL. You will need it to configure IT Glue.
- Click Done.
Defining the trigger and filters
- Open IT Glue and navigate to Account > Workflows.
- Click + New.
- Choose the trigger you want to use, for example, Flexible Asset Expirations.
- To configure the trigger:
- Trigger Name: Enter a descriptive name for the trigger (e.g. Send license expiration alerts to Microsoft Teams).
- Notify At (Lead Time): Only applies to expiration-based triggers. Specify the number of days in advance that you want to be notified when an asset is nearing its expiration. For example, if you enter 10, you will receive notice 10 days in advance of the expiration date.
- (Optional) Select the Expire sooner than the lead time and Have already expired checkboxes to schedule a one-time job that will notify you of existing assets that are about to expire (i.e. sooner than the specified lead time) and are already expired.
- Notification Failure Email: When notifications fail, an email will be sent to this email address from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you chose an expiration-based trigger, you can estimate how many notifications your trigger criteria will generate by clicking the Estimate How Many button.
- To add a filter, click the + Filter button (left side of the screen) and select your filter criteria using the drop downs.
Defining the action
- Next, choose the action that will be triggered.
- To configure the action:
- Action Name: Enter a descriptive name for the action (e.g. Notify in #general Teams channel 10 days in advance).
- Webhook URL: Enter the Webhook URL copied from Teams.
- JSON Payload: Enter a key/value pair. The value you associate with the text key is the message that will be posted to your Teams channel.
This key/value pair includes variables that will pull values from the asset that’s triggering the notification. The available variables are listed at the bottom of the screen where you input this information.
Your team will now start receiving notifications to Teams within the next 24 hours. Note that notifications based on document or password triggers will be sent in real time.
From there, you can use a system of emoji reactions to let team members claim, investigate, and mark problems as resolved, or have conversations about specific notifications.
Here are some frequently asked questions and answers about setting up the Windows Teams webhook notification in IT Glue.
I have set up expiration notifications for flexible assets. Currently, it seems that the notifications are for all flexible assets. Can different notifications be set for different flexible assets?
Refer to the instructions above to make sure you configured a filter when you set up the workflow. You can use filters to identify which flexible asset type will be notified on.
I can't get links working in Teams. The link is there, but it is not clickable. Annoying!
You can modify the JSON payload in IT Glue to format the link in the markdown for creating a link, which is [Link Text](Link URL).
- To hyperlink the word Link, you would use this as the link markdown:
- To hyperlink the
[resource_name]variable, which is the name of the asset, you would use this as the link markdown:
- To hyperlink the URL itself, you would use this as the link markdown:
Can I use the IT Glue logo in my notifications?
Yes, you can download either of the following icons to upload to Teams. This will help your team visually verify where the messages originated: