IT Glue provides a standard left-hand navigation sidebar on organizations. You can customize the sidebar to add new shortcuts and help your team navigate to important information quickly. The grouping for shortcuts can also be customized.
When you are setting up an account for the first time, you'll begin with a blank slate. As soon as you import the Flexible Asset templates, new items will be automatically added to the sidebar under an Apps & Services heading. After this initial import, you need can start customizing the sections and manually position items as desired.
Example: Organizations sidebar before you add flexible assets
A typical starter layout
There are many sidebar layouts you could create. By using the following starter layout, you can avoid having to spend too much time arranging elements when you're just getting started with IT Glue. Typically, most partners have these three groupings when they start using IT Glue:
- Core Assets - Your most frequently accessed assets: Configurations, Contacts, Documents, Domains, SSL, Locations, and Passwords.
- Apps & Services - Where we recommend you put your Flexible Assets (e.g. Applications, LAN, File Sharing) which provide comprehensive information about your managed services in a structured format.
- Administration - Any non-technical flexible assets such as Sales/Finance, Licensing, and Operations information.
Example: Organizations sidebar with a starter layout
Changing the sidebar layout
- Navigate to Account > Settings. You will require a Manager or Administrator level role.
- From the General tab, click the Customize Sidebar button.
- On the next screen, leave Default Sidebar selected in the Choose a sidebar to customize drop-down.
- To add or rearrange items, locate and drag them to the left column under the desired section.
- To add sections, click Add Section and enter the section name.
- When you're finished, click Save.
The changes are applied immediately. Any changes to the layout of the sidebar are also reflected in Global > Assets.
Example: You can add or remove an item by dragging and dropping
Advanced customization / hiding items
IT Glue supports the ability to hide items at the group and user level. By default, everything you add to the sidebar will be shown to all users. See Customizing sidebars based on groups if you have areas of your account that are not relevant to all users. Note that hiding items from the sidebar doesn't change what's shown in the Global section.
A few notes
- The sidebar scrolls independently, so it can hold as many items as desired. However, it's best practice to keep your team's most frequently used assets above the fold to ensure efficiency.
- Each user can also personalize their own sidebar by clicking on the Customize Sidebar link at the bottom of the sidebar.
- In addition to Flexible Assets, you can add one or more configuration types (such as Managed Workstations or Managed Servers) to the sidebar. You'll find them listed under the Configuration Type heading. However, this is generally not recommended because you can use Flexible Assets to surface the same information in a more customized, workflow-friendly manner through relationship mapping (related items/tagging).
- If you have previously customized the sidebar, any newly created or imported templates will not appear in the sidebar automatically. To add items, you can customize the sidebar, as described further above.