IT Glue supports a standard left-hand navigation sidebar on organizations. You can customize the sidebar to add new shortcuts to help your team navigate to important information quickly and also change the way shortcuts are grouped.
When you are just setting up an account, you'll begin with a blank slate. As soon as you import the flexible asset templates, new items will be added to the sidebar automatically under an Apps & Services heading. After this initial import, you need to decide how to customize the sections and then manually position items to fit how you want them shown.
Example: Organizations sidebar before you add flexible assets
A typical starter layout
There are many sidebar layouts you could create. By using the following starter layout, you can avoid having to spend too much time arranging elements when you're just getting started with IT Glue. Typically, most partners have these three groupings when they start using IT Glue:
- Core Assets - your most frequently accessed assets: configurations, contacts, documents, domains, SSL, locations, and passwords.
- Apps & Services - where we recommend you put your flexible assets (e.g. Applications, LAN, File Sharing), which provide comprehensive information about your managed services, in a structured format.
- Administration - where any non-technical flexible assets could go such as sales/finance, licensing, and operations information.
Example: Organizations sidebar with a starter layout
Note: The numbers that appear to the right of items are an indicator of how much data has been populated. For example, the number 42 that's displayed next to Configurations tells you that 42 configuration items have been documented.
Changing the sidebar layout
- Sign in with a Manager or Administrator role, and click Account from the top navigation bar. The Settings screen will load in the main pane.
- From the General tab, click the Customize Sidebar button near the bottom of the screen.
- On the next screen, leave Default Sidebar selected in the Choose a sidebar to customize drop-down.
- To add or re-arrange items, locate and drag them to the left column under the desired section.
- To add sections, click Add Section and enter the section name.
- When you're finished, click Save.
The changes are applied immediately. Any changes to the layout of the sidebar are also reflected in Global > Assets.
Example: You can add or remove an item by dragging and dropping
Advanced customization / hiding items
IT Glue supports the ability to hide items at the group and user level. By default, everything you add to the sidebar will be shown to all users. See Customizing sidebars based on groups if you have areas of your account that are not relevant to all users. Note that hiding items from the sidebar doesn't change what's shown in the Global section.
A few notes
- The sidebar scrolls independently, so it can handle as many items as you want. But try to keep your team's most used assets in view to ensure quick access.
- Each user can also personalize their own sidebar by clicking on the Customize Sidebar at the bottom of the sidebar and then hiding items.
- In addition to flexible assets, you can add one or more configuration types (Managed Workstations, Managed Servers) to the sidebar. You'll find them listed under the Configuration Type heading. However, generally speaking, this is not recommended because you can use flexible assets to surface the same information in a more customized, workflow-friendly manner through relationship mapping (related items/tagging).
- If you have previously customized the sidebar, any newly created or imported templates will not appear in the sidebar automatically. To add items, you can customize the sidebar, as described further above.