The Internet/WAN flexible asset is used to capture key information to connect with the ISP in times of service degradation or outage, or for billing updates.
Before you begin, watch the following IT Glue express video (1:17):
- Load all the network attached devices in the client environment, including the firewall/router, as configuration items.
- If multiple clients are serviced by a single ISP, capture the vendor's contact information in a central place. For more information, see Vendors.
- Create a document with procedures for a fall-back internet connection, if present. Note: If there was an after hours internet outage at the client site, are there any other procedures that should be documented?
- Ask for a recent invoice to get some account details that you will need to enter.
- Navigate to the organization you are onboarding.
- Go to the Internet/WAN section from the sidebar.
- click + New in the top right corner.
- Fill out as many or as few fields as you wish, such as information about the vendor SLA, client account number, and, of course, the technical details that you need to do any troubleshooting.
- Click Save.
- Under Attachments (right-hand side of screen), attach a copy of the invoice you requested above.
- Under Embedded Passwords, add the client's ISP sign-in credentials.
- Under Related Items:
- Add the LAN and any VLAN/subnets that you created with the LAN flexible asset.
- Add the fall-back or outage procedure documents you created above.
- How To: Document Internet and WAN (IT Glue blog post)