Every device that is connected to a network can be added as a configuration. IT Glue was designed to help you load most of these devices through an integration with a supported PSA or RMM tool, rather than manually entering each and every device. In the most common set up, the RMM agents are deployed, and later on the RMM device data pushes to your PSA, and then from your PSA to IT Glue. However, there can still be a few printers, virtual servers, and other agentless devices that you will need to manually enter.
These instructions will help you document devices that need to be manually entered.
- To know how to get a new client set up, make sure you read our Overview of client onboarding steps article.
- Make sure the client organization and all of the device information you want brought over from external data sources have propagated to IT Glue. If any device names are wrong or duplicated, they're usually best fixed in the RMM or PSA.
IT Glue has a two-way integration with ConnectWise and Autotask. This means you can add a configuration from within IT Glue to also add the configuration to your PSA.
If you are two-way syncing, the workflow has these simple steps:
- Verify that the configuration has not already been entered in the system. Use the search tool at the top of any screen.
- Navigate to the organization that the device belongs to.
- From the Configurations list view, click + New.
- For each device, you can capture the following information:
- Serial Number
- Primary IP
- [Warranty] Expiration Date (check manufacturer's website)
- MAC Address
- Default Gateway
- Interfaces (secondary NICs, additional IP addresses, management ports)
- When you're done, click Save.
After you save it, the same configuration will be immediately added to your PSA if the configuration type and status are ones that are set to sync.
To edit a configuration
- From IT Glue, navigate to the organization that has the device you want to edit.
- From the Configurations list view, find the device, open it, and then click Edit.
- When you're done your updates, scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Save.
- In order to preserve integrity with PSA and RMM integrations, the configuration form and fields are hard coded in IT Glue. You can create custom flexible assets to capture more information, or you have three places in a configuration to add more information:
- Notes field - e.g. switch port usage notes
- Attachments - e.g. PDFs, manuals, config files
- Related Items - e.g. documents, directly connected devices
- Servers (physical, backup, virtual hosts, virtual guests)
- Switches, routers
- Storage devices (SAN, NAS)
- Wireless access points
- Printers, scanners
- PBX devices
- Security camera controllers
- UPS devices
- Mobile devices (Optional)
- Any other device with an IP address
Configurations can also be pieces of hardware that need to be controlled and managed but that do not have IP addresses, for example, a display, camera, security panel/alarm, or back up power supply.