This article will show you how to save various passwords in IT Glue. If you want to import passwords, please refer to our Importing CSV data into your account KB article instead.
Keep in mind that there are two kinds of passwords you can create.
- The first is general passwords which you can use for anything. To enhance the security of the password, you can add security permissions directly to these passwords.
- The second is embedded passwords which you can use for a password that is needed in one specific context. For example, a device's web interface URL and credentials. Security permissions will be inherited from the immediate parent object.
- Take a moment to review the password types (Account > Password Types) available in your account. If you already have a well established set of categories you use to organize passwords, you can edit the types to reflect your existing categories.
Note: Each password can have only one category/type.
Creating a general password
New passwords can be quickly and easily created from the main Passwords section can be found in each organization. We recommend adding most network and server passwords here, knowing that you will probably want to restrict their access to certain users and groups.
- Navigate to the organization that the password belongs to.
- Click on Passwords in the left sidebar.
- Click the + New button in the top-right corner.
- In the Create Password screen, complete the below fields:
- Name - Give the password a name that will be easy to search or find in the list view.
- Category - Select the type of password you want to create from the options in the drop-down menu.
- Username - Enter the email address or name associated with the new password.
- Password - Enter a password of your choosing or, click the Generate button to generate a random one.
Tip! You can click the View/Hide button to toggle the visibility of the password.
- URL - Enter a valid URL.
- Notes - Add optional notes and comments as required.
- Security (ride side panel) - Click the down arrow to expand the Security section. Choose between two security settings by clicking the radio button beside the options.
- Click on the Save button to add your new password.
The new password will now be found in the General tab when you open the Passwords list view.
Creating an embedded password
- Search for and open the configuration in IT Glue.
- Under Embedded Passwords in the right side panel, click Add Password.
- Complete the Name, Username, Password, and URL fields.
- Click the Add button to save the password.
The new password will be found in a separate Embedded tab when you open the Passwords list view.
Editing a password
- On the Password show page, click on the Edit button in the to-right corner.
- In the Edit Password screen, you can edit any of the below fields:
Editable Fields Tips Name Cannot be left blank and must be more than two characters long Category Typing in the category name will select the item in the drop-down menu Username - Password Leave blank to keep the current password URL If a valid URL is detected, it will display as a hyperlink Notes -
- Click the Save button to save your changes.
Using the checklist below, locate any remaining passwords and add them to your account.
- Active Directory domain admin credentials
- Active Directory’s Directory Services Recovery Mode (ADRM) password
- Local admin accounts for standalone servers, virtual hosts, etc.
- Local admin accounts for each workstation
- Firewall admin web interface
- Switch admin web interface
- On-premises applications
- Maintenance agreements and licensing (software, hardware)
- Cloud applications
- Cloud licensing
- Domain management (registrar, web host)
- Certificate management
- Backup console
- Lights out management console
- Site-to-site VPN