The Applications flexible asset can give a comprehensive summary of every application used in a client environment, including cloud based, on-premises, client-server, and client only applications.
Keep in mind that on first pass it might be as simple as recording the application and version number. More details can be recorded later. From discussions with the key contact, you'll want to make sure that the Importance, Business Impact, and Application Champion fields are filled in accurately.
- All servers have been entered as configurations.
- Licensing and Vendor information for each application has been recorded using the Licensing and Vendor flexible assets.
Create one entry for every application you discover. Your discovery checklist should include the following sources:
- Discussion with key contacts.
- Output from discovery reports - automated or manual.
- Previous provider's documentation.
- Browsing a workstation.
- Report from RMM tool if deployed.
- Navigate to the organization that the application belongs to.
- From the Applications list view, click + New.
- In the original template design, the Name and Version are merged to produce the title, so keep these two details separate. For example, if CRM is the name and 2013 is the Version, this will produce an entry entitled CRM 2013.
- Under Category, select the relevant category.
- Business Impact is a one-line description effectively to describe what the impact would be if this application should become unavailable to the client. For example, invoices cannot be raised, sales team is dead in the water, product information is not available to manufacturing.
- In the Application Champion field, search for and select one or more contacts. If necessary, revisit the Contacts area to create these individuals in your account.
- In the Application Server(s) field, search for and select one or more servers.
- In the Vendor field, search for and select one the vendor.
- In the Licensing Information field, search for and select the license.
- When you're done, click Save.