This article explains how to document a wireless solution using the Wireless flexible asset. This asset is a useful tool for identification of all required equipment and also for capturing wireless security information: SSID, the wireless password (also called the pre-shared key or the network key), etc.
- Load all the network attached devices and access points in the client environment as configuration items.
Create one entry for each WLAN/SSID:
- Navigate to the organization you are onboarding.
- Go to the Wireless section from the sidebar.
- Click + New in the top right corner.
- In the Network Name field, enter the network's name, e.g. Happy Frog HQ, Happy Frog Branch Office, Happy Frog HQ Guest Wi-Fi, etc. The title must provide quick reference in list view and be easy to search.
- In the Physical Location field, search for and select the location e.g. branch office, headquarters, etc.
- In the SSID field, enter the SSID.
- In the Security Type field, select the encryption type.
- In the Pre-Shared Key field, enter the pre-shared key if required.
- In the Access Point(s) field, search for and select each access point that provides service for this SSID.
- In the Wireless Controller(s) field, search for and select the wireless controller if present.
- Next, record the management IP address, username, and password of the wireless controller's administrative web interface in the fields provided.
- Click Save.
- Record the sign-in credentials for a centralized console that provides control of all of an enterprise's wireless network devices in the Passwords area (if that's not already done) and then add the password under Related Items (right-hand side of the screen).
- (Optional) In Documents, create instructions for devices that cannot connect to the recommended wireless network, such as a wireless printer, Apple TV, or SmartTV, and then add the documents under Related Items.