This article explains how to embed diagrams created with Lucidchart (www.lucidchart.com) in IT Glue, and also how to add hyperlinks within a diagram that, when clicked, will open the relevant assets in IT Glue. We'll refer to network diagrams but you can use any kind of diagram that Lucidchart supports.
A user with a Manager or Administrator role will need to add support for Lucidchart diagrams:
- From Account > Flexible Asset Types, edit the flexible asset (e.g. LAN).
- In the Fields section, click +New field to add another field:
- Name: Network Diagram
- Kind: Textbox (must be a Textbox and not the option called Text)
- Uncheck the Required and Show in List boxes.
- (Optional) Enter a Hint.
Grabbing the embed code from Lucidchart
- Sign in to your Lucidchart account and create a network diagram.
- In the top right corner, click the Share button to open the Share dialog box.
- From the left side, choose Embed.
- Select either Medium or Large from the drop down, and then click the Activate Embed Code button to activate the code.
- Copy the activated embed code.
Pasting the embed code in IT Glue
- From IT Glue, open the relevant LAN item for the desired organization.
- Locate the textbox field ("Network Diagram").
- Open the Embed Media box by clicking the (Embed Media icon).
- Paste the embed code and click OK.
After publishing, you can scroll and zoom around the diagram directly in IT Glue. If you are still authenticated with Lucidchart, an edit pencil will appear in the status bar. If you click it, you will be returned to the Lucidchart interface in edit mode.
Adding hotspots to the diagram
You can re-visit your Lucidchart diagram and create hotspots for each device that will take you directly to the device in IT Glue.
Note: Hotspots are available to Lucidchart Professional and Team accounts.
- From IT Glue, navigate to the relevant organization and click Configurations from the sidebar.
- Click on the Type drop down arrows and filter the view to target one type at a time (servers, switches).
- Right click on a name and select Copy Link Address.
- From the network diagram in Lucidchart, right-click the relevant device to open the context menu, and then select Create Hotspot.
- Click on the drop down arrows next to Choose an Action and select External Link.
- In the External Link dialog box, paste the link, check Open in new window, and click Done.