Use this article as a guide to create and maintain an RMM integration with SolarWinds MSP RMM, which gives you information about CPU, memory, disk usage, last reboot, etc.
MAXfocus was rebranded as SolarWinds MSP RMM, but some in-app references and screenshots in IT Glue as well as this article may still refer to the MAXfocus name, these will be updated as soon as the name has stopped changing for a while... Please note: Solarwinds MSP RMM is their cloud-based RMM software, but they also support on-premises and hosted deployments with N-Central.
It should only take about an hour to get up and running with your RMM. This is a rough estimate based on our experience with several partners who integrated with their RMM.
The SolarWinds MSP RMM sync described below will do the following:
Steps to integrate:
- Configure RMM
- Enter your RMM credentials
- Wait for the sync to complete
- Organization matching
- Configuration matching
- An SSL connection with a valid certificate (not self-signed) from a trusted authority is required.
- Manager or Administrator level access to IT Glue.
- If you're integrating with a PSA and an RMM, you will want to first sync your RMM to your PSA and your PSA to IT Glue to make sure that the required data is available for matching.
2. Configure RMM
- IT Glue talks to SolarWinds MSP RMM via API to monitor for devices in the form of a read-only sync. For this to work, sign in to SolarWinds MSP RMM as an admin user and go to the dashboard's menu: Settings > General Settings > API.
- If the API Token is blank, then click Regenerate. If it's *not* blank, you should skip this and go to step 2, as the existing token is likely in use by some other system.
- Fill out your email address and click the Email Token button. Do not skip this step!
- You'll receive an email confirmation from SolarWinds MSP RMM with both your API key and your dedicated API server's hostname.
- If you do asset tracking for virtual machines and want to make these machines available in IT Glue, you need to do the following:
- From SolarWinds MSP RMM, click View and then Asset Tracking.
- Next, click Settings and then Asset Tracking Settings.
- Under the Virtual Machines tab, select the "Allow Asset Tracking to report on Windows Virtual Machines" checkbox and click OK.
Note: If no information shows up under the Assets Tab for a virtual machine, then it will also not be in the report and will not show in IT Glue.
3. Enter your RMM credentials
- Open IT Glue.
- Navigate to Account > Integrations and click +New.
- Click the MAXfocus option.
- Enter the server hostname and API key (see instructions further above) and then click Connect.
- After you enter your RMM credentials in IT Glue, you're taken to the following screen:
You will need to choose an option.
Matching on clients will allow you to map to top-level organizations in IT Glue.
Matching on sites allows you to map to organizations and sub-organizations in IT Glue.
You can change this preference at any point. If you change your preference later, existing matches will be reset. For more information about sub-organizations, see Working with sub organizations.
Next, you’ll be taken to the Sync Logs screen.
Note: If the credentials fail for any reason, syncing will stop until you re-enter your credentials.
4. Wait for the sync to complete
By default, newly queued syncs are scheduled to take place one hour later. From the Account Integrations screen, click Actions and then Start Manual Sync to prioritize the sync to start sooner, if desired.
When the sync is complete, the status column changes from Syncing... to OK.
The initial sync typically completes in under an hour and subsequent syncs will occur within minutes depending on how many new items you have.
5. Organization matching
IT Glue discovers organizations and configurations and tries to match them to data in your account. The matching logic is at the top of this article. Anything that isn't automatically matched will need to be manually actioned.
- From Account > Integrations, find your RMM in the list and click on Actions and then Matching.
- Start with the Unmatched filter to review unmatched organizations.
- If you're happy with a suggested match, click Accept Suggestion to accept it:
Or, you can search for and choose a different organization using the Match To column. You can also choose to ignore organizations, which means they won't count as unmatched items in subsequent syncs.
Warning. If you don't see an organization, you can choose the Create Organization action to create (import) it. But make sure there is nothing to match first, so that you don't create a duplicate organization.
- Keep going through all your unmatched organizations until they are all matched.
- If you change your mind about any of the matches, click Actions, choose Change Match, and then manually search for and choose a different organization.
6. Configuration matching
Next, go through the same process to match configurations as you did for organizations.
- To begin, click the Matched filter, pick a matched organization, and then choose the Match Devices action.
- You should first review your matched devices to see if everything looks okay.
- Next, click the Unmatched filter and start matching any remaining configurations until all are actioned (matched, ignored, or created).
- Before you create configurations, first match any of the devices that we couldn't match based on MAC addresses or serial number, for example, virtual servers. When you're done matching, you can create (in bulk or individually) any of the remaining devices coming in from your RMM.
Important: We don't recommend that you create configurations from your RMM if you'd like to then have them populate from IT Glue to your PSA. New items created from such data will not sync with your PSA unless you choose to do so manually by editing and saving each and every item. This is absolutely manual and is not recommended.
- Repeat for each organization until all configurations are actioned.
Once everything is matched, the RMM setup is complete. At any time, you can come back to these instructions to discover and match new organizations and configurations from your RMM.