Use this article as a guide to create and maintain an RMM integration with AEM, Autotask's RMM solution. This gives you information about CPU, memory, disk usage, last reboot, etc.
To integrate with Autotask PSA, see Integrating with Autotask instead.
After you have your API keys, it should only take about an hour to get up and running with your RMM. This is a rough estimate based on our experience with several partners who integrated with their RMM.
The AEM sync described below will do the following:
Steps to integrate:
- Set up a secure connection & generate API credentials
- Enter your RMM credentials
- Wait for the sync to complete
- Organization matching
- Configuration matching
- Manager or Administrator level access to IT Glue.
- If you're integrating with a PSA and an RMM, you will want to first sync your RMM to your PSA and your PSA to IT Glue to make sure that the required data is available for matching.
2. Set up a secure connection & generate API credentials
- An SSL connection with a valid certificate (not self-signed) to your RMM is required.
- We talk to AEM (Autotask Endpoint Management) via API to monitor for devices so we can perform our routine sync. You'll need to send the following email to AEM to have the API features enabled on your AEM account, substituting the blank fields with your info found on the Account Tab within AEM:
Subject: AEM API Activation Request
Hello AEM! We would like to request activation of the API features on our account for integration with IT Glue. Here is our info (from our AEM account tab):
AEM Account Name: ___________
AEM Account UID: ___________
AEM Platform Name: ___________
Once AEM has replied to tell you the API is activated, you can go ahead and generate your API credentials:
- Sign in to AEM as an admin and create a new user. Keep in mind that AEM usernames need to be unique across the entire platform and itglue is already taken. :)
- Edit the newly created username.
- Click the new Regenerate API Keys option.
- You should see the API credentials and the required fields.
3. Enter your RMM credentials
- Open IT Glue.
- Navigate to Account > Integrations and click +New.
- Click the AEM option.
- On the connect screen, select one of the following platforms: Concord, Merlot, Pinotage, Syrah, or Zinfandel.
- Next, enter the appropriate API values based on the information gathered further above and then click Connect.
- You can say whether you want to match by Autotask companies or AEM sites. Select the Autotask Companies option only if you are using Autotask as your PSA; otherwise, select the Sites option.
Next, you’ll be taken to the Sync Logs screen.
Note: If the credentials fail for any reason, syncing will stop until you re-enter your credentials.
4. Wait for the sync to complete
By default, newly queued syncs are scheduled to take place one hour later. From the Account Integrations screen, click Actions and then Start Manual Sync to prioritize the sync to start sooner, if desired.
When the sync is complete, the status column changes from Syncing... to OK.
The initial sync typically completes in under an hour and subsequent syncs will occur within minutes depending on how many new items you have.
5. Organization matching
IT Glue discovers organizations and configurations and tries to match them to data in your account. The matching logic is at the top of this article. Anything that isn't automatically matched will need to be manually actioned.
- From Account > Integrations, find your RMM in the list and click on Actions and then Matching.
- Start with the Unmatched filter to review unmatched organizations.
- If you're happy with a suggested match, click Accept Suggestion to accept it:
Or, you can search for and choose a different organization using the Match To column. You can also choose to ignore organizations, which means they won't count as unmatched items in subsequent syncs.
Warning. If you don't see an organization, you can choose the Create Organization action to create (import) it. But make sure there is nothing to match first, so that you don't create a duplicate organization.
- Keep going through all your unmatched organizations until they are all matched.
- If you change your mind about any of the matches, click Actions, choose Change Match, and then manually search for and choose a different organization.
6. Configuration matching
Next, go through the same process to match configurations as you did for organizations.
- To begin, click the Matched filter, pick a matched organization, and then choose the Match Devices action.
- You should first review your matched devices to see if everything looks okay.
- Next, click the Unmatched filter and start matching any remaining configurations until all are actioned (matched, ignored, or created).
- Before you create configurations, first match any of the devices that we couldn't match based on MAC addresses or serial number, for example, virtual servers. When you're done matching, you can create (in bulk or individually) any of the remaining devices coming in from your RMM.
Important. We don't recommend that you create configurations from your RMM if you'd like to then have them populate from IT Glue to your PSA. New items created from such data will not sync with your PSA unless you choose to do so manually by editing and saving each and every item. This is absolutely manual and is not recommended.
- Repeat for each organization until all configurations are actioned.
Once everything is matched, the RMM setup is complete. At any time, you can come back to these instructions to discover and match new organizations and configurations from your RMM.