For partners subscribed to Select or Enterprise plans.
This article will help you set up notifications to Asana through Zapier. IT Glue lets you easily send notification details via Zapier to Asana to tell your team that something has happened or that something is expiring.
- Make sure you read Setting up notifications for an introduction to IT Glue notifications.
- The following instructions will refer to Asana, but you can use any endpoint that Zapier supports. For Zendesk instructions, see Setting up a Zendesk zap in Zapier.
- In these instructions, you'll create a "two-step zap". A zap is a specific link between apps that you've connected in Zapier. A two-step zap has one trigger and one action step.
- Creating the zap consist of three main parts:
- Setting up the Zapier webhook URL
- Configuring the notification
- Configuring the Asana action
- You must have Manager or Administrator access to configure notifications.
- You need a Zapier account and an Asana account.
Setting up the Zapier webhook URL
The integration with Zapier requires a Zapier webhook URL to post data to.
- Sign in to your Zapier account and click the button.
- On the Choose a Trigger App screen, choose Webhooks by Zapier.
- On the Select Webhooks by Zapier Trigger screen, choose Catch Hook.
- On the Connect Webhooks by Zapier screen, copy the webhook URL.
- Leave this window open.
Configuring the notification
The next part of this integration is to determine a condition that will trigger an action and create the JSON payload that will be passed to your Asana account through Zapier.
- Open IT Glue and navigate to Account > Notifications.
- Click on + New to open the Create Notification screen.
- In the Edit Trigger section (step 1), add the following details:
- Name: Enter a descriptive name for the trigger (e.g. domain expires in 30 days).
- Trigger: Select the trigger you want to use.
- Lead time: This field only applies to expiration triggers. Enter the number of days in advance you want to receive notice. For example, if you enter 3, you will receive notice 3 days in advance of the expiration date.
- Already expired: Check this box if you don't want any lead time (you want to receive notice on the expiration date).
- Enroll assets that already meet this criteria: Check this box if you want to also receive notices on anything that has gone past the lead time. So, if your lead time is 5 days, and you enable this option, you will include any assets that are within 5 days or less of their expiration.
- Admin email: This email address will be alerted if notices fail.
- You can leave this box unchecked to make changes without sending incomplete notifications (and also to disable notifications without deleting them).
- Name: Enter a descriptive name for the action (e.g. create an Asana task).
- Dispatch: Choose Webhook.
- Webhook URL: Enter the webhook URL copied from Zapier.
- JSON Payload: Enter the key and value pair.
- For example, the key text and for the value, something like [resource_name] has been updated in [organization_name] [resource_url].
Configuring the Asana action
Now to configure what will happen in Asana after a notification is triggered.
- In Zapier, choose Asana as the Action.
- Then choose Create task as the action and confirm by clicking on the Continue button.
- Select your Asana account and confirm the choice by clicking on Continue.
- Grant Zapier permissions to access your Asana account by clicking Allow in the pop-up window.
- Next, create a template to ‘map’ the information you want to send from the JSON payload to create a task in Asana.
Note: Some fields will allow you to populate values from your Asana account (e.g. Workspace/Organization, Project).
- After you finish, click the Continue button at the bottom of the screen.
- Zapier will ask you to test the zap. Follow the instructions to test that everything is working and has been connected properly.
- Note that you may have to refresh the Asana browser window to see the new task.
After that's done, you'll receive the configured notifications to your Asana account.
If we can't reach your webhook URL, we'll try again in a little while. If we can't reach it several times, we'll send an email to the admin email you entered in IT Glue.